The final vinyl

As I wrote in a previous post, I did some extensive audio restoration of an old live recording by Brainbombs, that eventually got published as an LP by the small American punk label Richie Records, in a limited run of 500 copies. Well, in the end, one of those copies made its way back to me as a thanks for my efforts, and I'm very glad for it. It is actually quite a strange feeling, to hold in my hand a vinyl disc that holds the same recording that I mailed to the States on a couple of master CD:s over a year ago. The main thing, I think, is that this is so obviously a finished artefact, while mostly everything else that I create tends to be of a very fluid and nonphysical nature: digital representations that one can always pick up later and resume working on. This one, however, is very much "done". (Yes, you could remaster it and cut new vinyls, but the point is that this particular record isn't going anywhere. And no, burning a CD does not give you the same feeling.) In fact, it's probably the most finished thing I've ever been involved in making (to the despair of my PhD supervisor...).

Of course, the transfer to vinyl didn't make the sound better per se, but the surface noise adds even more "authenticity" to the experience.

Comments

Jan Moren said…
It's like film: ephemeral data frozen in a physical, tangible alteration of reality. Part of why I like film.

But no, I'm not going to get a record player.

Popular posts from this blog

The Hobbit (1982 game) graphics engine in Javascript

Recreated ZX Spectrum (Bluetooth Keyboard)

Erlang slave nodes and ssh login shells